Wednesday, March 06, 2013

Things that worry doctors

Here i am again fresh off my annual bottle brush exam with the gynecologist. These are always a bit harrowing, as i have had HPV since before i was even sexually active (no idea) and have uterine fibroids, ovarian cysts and scary family history of relatives dying of various rare forms of ultra aggressive uterine cancer and such.
This time my doc actually looks scared and wants to do biopsies as soon as possible without even waiting for PAP results. Something about a heavy 3 week period 8 months into menopause (at 47 - was just getting happy that phase was over and the hot flashes were gone) is Very Bad News. Unfortunately, the soonest is 3 weeks out and two weeks further away than she wanted. My guess is that the cyst triggered something on my ovary that kicked my menses back in. My fear is that it was twice as large during my kidney stone ultrasound than my "what's on my ovary" one a year earlier and that may not be a good thing. A friend of mine just died of cancer last Friday after beating it once. Breast cancer. That crap never dies. It goes someplace for a while and then comes back, hits your brain and kills your ass. Happened to my friend Karen Fonstadt and others and now to Kathleen Elbrecht. Geeky extra credit if you know who Karen is.
In the past 4 months: kidney stone (unconfirmed by imaging, but all else ruled out), bronchitis, pneumonia, ear infection and hit in the head by a patient. Plus 2 coworkers dead. Plus... And i only missed 2 days of work total. But now it's starting to get to me. This is going to be a long 3 week + wait.

No comments: